India is home to some of the most affordable educational programs in the world. Most courses, including those offered by state and central governments, are quite affordable for the vast majority of the Indian student population. By extension, this means that it is easy to find the most affordable courses for hotel management in India. The same however cannot be said about enrolment capacities which are grossly inadequate.
Hotel Management programs became affordable thanks to a government initiative way back in 1982 when the National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT) was set up by the Government of India to oversee the growth and development of hospitality education in the country.
NCHMCT regulates academics activities in the field of Hospitality Education and Training through:
1. Twenty-One (21) central government sponsored Institutes of Hotel Management (IHMs),
2. Twenty-One (21) state government sponsored institutes,
3. Fifteen (15) private institutes, and
4. Seven (7) Food Craft Institutes
The Council (NCHMCT) offers ten professional programs leading to the award of Certificate, Diploma, Post Graduate Diploma, Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees.
Certificate Course – Duration 6 months; Fees Rs. 8000 – 10000 (approx.)
Diploma Programs – Duration 1.5 Yrs; Fees Rs. 14000 – 32000 (approx.)
Post Graduate Diploma – Duration 1.5 Yrs; Fees Rs. 19000 – 23000 (approx.)
Bachelor’s Degree – Duration 3 Yrs; Fees Rs. 300000 (approx.)
Master’s Degree – Duration 2 Yrs; Fees Rs. 200000 (approx.)
The BSc. and MSc. Programs are offered in collaboration with Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
The total number of skilled and educated professionals emerging from these government-aided institutes would be in the range of 10000 – 15000 per year. It is quite evident that the rest of the employment vacancies in the hospitality, tourism and travel sector will have to be fulfilled by young professionals educated by the private sector.
In addition to the above programs managed by NCHMCT, students today have the option to choose from:
• Undergraduate and Post Graduate programs offered by Universities
• Craft courses, Diploma, Undergraduate and Post Graduate programs offered by private institutions affiliated to State Technical Boards or Universities, and
• Diploma, Undergraduate and Post Graduate programs offered by Universities in the distance learning mode
• Programs managed by reputed hotel chains
It is a myth that education in the private sector is costly. In many cases the comparative tuition costs between state universities and private colleges are non-existent. This is true especially for educational programs in the hospitality sector.
Institutes offering hotel management programs have unique infrastructural needs in addition to classrooms and general administrative facilities. These include a hotel-like lobby and reception, guest-rooms and laundry systems, well-equipped kitchens and bakery and well-appointed training restaurants. A walk around the premises, interaction with students studying in the institute and placement statistics should pretty much give a clear picture of the price versus value standpoint.
A unique thing about hotel management study programs is that they provide students with the opportunity to ‘earn while they learn’. The hands-on approach ensures that knowledge, skills and attitudes are immediately put to use in work environments such as hotels, restaurants, retail business, etc. This offsets a part of the fees while increasing the potential of a student getting employed at a later stage.
Some of the most well-known institutions offering hotel management courses in the private sector are:
1. Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration – Manipal, Karnataka
2. IHM-A – Aurangabad, Maharashtra
3. Christ – Bangalore, Karnataka
4. SRM Institute of Hotel Management – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5. Rizvi College of Hotel & Tourism Management Studies – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Prospective students should take a call based on their interest levels and career goals. These guidelines should help narrow down the best option:
• Take a tour
• Spend a day in class/activity
• Talk with alumni
• Take notes
• Scholarship or Financial aid
• Work options
• School ranking
• Graduating data
• Campus size
• Student-teacher ratio
• On-campus housing options
• Opportunity to specialise
If you are searching for an excellent private college, you should visit jshm.co.in which offers craft courses, Diploma and Under Graduate Programs.